This Chicken Enchilada Casserole has so much flavor. It’s cheesy and creamy and gives you all the chicken enchilada vibes. This is a great easy one pan meal for a quick weeknight dinner or for an easy meal prep.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE:
- Shredded Chicken
- Sour Cream
- Taco Seasoning
- Can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies- make sure you drain and get out as much moisture as possible.
- Shredded Mexican Style Cheese
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Low carb tortillas
Optional Toppings: black olives, sour cream, fresh chopped cilantro
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE:
In a bowl start by mixing together 2 cups of shredded chicken, 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1 can of well drained Rotel, 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and 1/2 a cup of shredded cheddar cheese then set the bowl to the side.
Add 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce to the bottom of your cast iron pan making sure to just lightly coat the entire thing. If you don’t have a cast iron you can also do this in a casserole dish.
Cut up 2 tortillas and place them over the top of the sauce. If 2 doesn’t seem like enough tortillas you can always add a little more.
Add half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Make sure to evenly smooth it out throughout the entire pan.
Repeat the above steps again. Start by cutting up and placing 2 more tortillas over the chicken mixture. Now add the remaining meat to the top of the tortillas.
Pour 1/2 a cup of the enchilada sauce over the top of the meat. Now add 1/2 cup of cheese and 2 tablespoons of black olives.
Now bake it at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Top with freshly chopped cilantro and sour cream and enjoy.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS DISH:
This chicken enchilada casserole is a very hearty dish. If you feel you need a little something extra you could always add a few slices of avocado. Avocados are really good for you and it’s a great source of healthy fats.
WHAT LOW CARB TORTILLAS TO USE:
There are a lot of low carb tortillas on the market. For this recipe I used A LA MADRE Corn Tortillas. They hold up really well to sauce and don’t get mushy and soggy like some others, which is why they are perfect for this dish. They are 3 net carbs per tortilla.
Looking for more easy low carb recipes? Check out these Sheet Pan Fajitas or this Low Carb Tortilla Soup
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Can Mild Rotel Drained Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- 4 Low Carb Tortillas
- 3/4 cup Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Sliced Black Olives
- In a bowl mix together 2 cups of shredded chicken, 1/2 cup sour cream, can of well drained Rotel (make sure you get out as much moisture as possibe), 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and 1/2 a cup of shredded mexican cheese then set to the side.
- Add 1/4 cup of sauce to the bottom of the pan making sure it's evenly covered
- Cut up 2 tortillas and place on top of the sauce
- Add 1/2 of the chicken mixture to the top of the tortillas
- Cut up 2 more tortillas then place the rest of the meat on top.
- Evenly pour 1/2 a cup of enchilada sauce over the top of the meat. Then sprinkle it with 1/2 a cup of shredded cheese and 2 tablespoons of sliced black olives.
- Bake 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted.