This easy low carb crock pot gumbo is full of flavor and literally only takes a few minutes of prep to toss together. This is the perfect combo of shrimp, chicken and sausage.
One thing I have always loved is Gumbo. I wanted to try to create something that gave me all the gumbo vibes but without all the added carbs. This isn’t exactly like your traditional gumbo but it’s a great substitute for when you get that craving or even when you want jambalaya.
What if I don’t like cauliflower rice?
The cauliflower rice can be omitted but I truly think it’s worth trying. It adds extra substance to the dish. You will be surprised how well the riced cauliflower pairs with this soup. It makes for a great low carb option in place of regular white rice.
Ingredients needed for this low carb crock pot gumbo:
This crock pot meal does call for a lot of ingredients but I promise you it will be worth it.
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- frozen raw shrimp
- andouille sausage
- minced garlic
- tomato paste
- cajun seasoning
- chicken broth
- frozen cut okra
- riced cauliflower (steamer bag) well drained and squeeze out all the moisture
I absolutely love using a crock pot. I call it my magic pot because you literally just put everything in, stir it around and come back hours later to a delicious meal that tastes like you slaved all day making it.
Does this freeze well?
YES! So this recipe makes a ton of servings and when you freeze this soup it tastes just as good as the day you made it. What I like to do once it’s cooled off is to divide up the remaining soup and place it into freezer safe containers or glass jars. Then when I feel like having this again I can just let it thaw in my fridge and heat it up either in the microwave or on the stove.
If you’re not looking to freeze this soup it actually tastes even better the next day as leftovers. Just store it in an air tight container in the fridge and heat it up the next day.
Low Carb Crock Pot Gumbo
- Crock Pot
- 2 cans mild rotel
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 1 lb andouille sausage
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp basil
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz cut frozen okra
- 1 lb cauliflower rice
- salt to taste
- Place all ingredients in your crock pot except the shrimp and cauliflower rice and stir well
- Place the lid on your crock pot and cook on high for about 3.5 hours or until your chicken thighs shred easily.
- Remove chicken thighs and shred
- Place chicken back in the crock pot along with the raw shrimp
- Cook on high for another 20-25 minutes or until the shrimp is fully cooked
- Salt to taste
- Serve in a bowl on top of cauliflower rice and enjoy.