This Low Carb Lasagna is packed with all the traditional flavors of regular lasagna but without all the extra carbs. It’s meaty, it’s cheesy and it’s a delicious simple meal even the pickiest eaters will enjoy.
WHAT’S THE NOODLE REPLACEMENT FOR THIS DISH?
The lasagna noodles in this dish are 100 percent made of a vegetable called Hearts of Palm. It’s a grain and gluten free option that works perfectly for this dish. The entire dish is less than 2 net carbs worth of noodles. These noodles have a very mild taste and take the taste of this sauce really well. These have become one of our favorite low carb noodle substitutes. We even enjoy their spaghetti and angel hair noodles.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR LOW CARB LASAGNA:
- Ground pork sausage (I use either mild or Italian)
- minced garlic
- Hearts of Palm Lasagna Noodles
- Ricotta Cheese
- Marinara Sauce- no sugar added
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB LASAGNA:
PREPARING THE MEAT:
Start by browning the meat. Once the meat is fully cooked drain the excess grease and return back to the stove.
Add 1 cup of Marinara sauce and 1 tbsp of minced garlic to the pan of meat and mix it together until fully combined and heated through.
ASSEMBLING THE LOAF PAN:
Spray your 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray then add 1/4 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom of the loaf pan. Spread it out so that it’s evenly distributed throughout the pan.
Top the sauce with a layer of noodles. For this size loaf pan you will use 4 noodles for each layer like the photo below.
Top the noodles with 1/3 of the meat mixture then spread out 3 tbsp of Ricotta cheese and finish that first layer with 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Repeat this a second time by laying down the next set of noodles, the meat mixture, the ricotta cheese and finish with another layer of mozzarella cheese.
Place the final layer of noodles on then add the remaining meat and top with the last of the mozzarella cheese.
Place the loaf pan on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted.
Top with parsley and enjoy.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH THIS LASAGNA?
This is a very hearty and filling dish. It would be best served with a garden salad or a veggie like green beans.
Looking for another easy lasagna alternative? Try out these Lasagna stuffed peppers.
Low Carb Lasagna
- 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan
- 1 lb ground pork sausage I use mild or Italian
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 12 slices Natural Heaven Lasagna Noodles
- 6 tbsp ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cup Marinara Sauce no sugar added
- 3/4-1 cup Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Preparing the meat
- Brown the ground pork
- Drain the meat then mix in 1 cup of Marinara sauce with 1 tbsp of minced garlic and let it simmer for a few minutes.
Preparing the loaf pan
- Spray the loaf pan with cooking oil
- Add 1/4 cup of Marinara sauce to the bottom of the loaf pan making sure it's evenly distributed
- In this order add a layer of noodles, then 1/3 of the meat sauce, then 3 tbsp of ricotta then finish it with 1/4 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the above steps starting with the next layer of noodles then meat, ricotta then cheese.
- Top with the final layer of noodles, the last of the meat sauce and the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place the loaf pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted.
- Top with parsley and enjoy.
Leave a Reply